By: Loyola Staff
February 2–8, marks National Burn Awareness Week. Reduce the risk of contact burns with this quick guide:
When it’s 77 degrees outside, the asphalt can reach a scorching 125 degrees. Therefore, take precautions before walking outside alone or with your pets.
Hair Appliance or Hot Object Burns
Have a discussion with your children about the dangers of playing with or touching heated items (e.g., plates, hair appliances). Also, avoid placing hot objects on counter edges where they can easily fall.
Keep flammable items at least three feet away from the fireplace. Also, hide the fireplace remote control from your children and pets. Install screen barriers, utilize safety gates and monitor the children while your fireplace is lit.
Hot Appliance or Cooking Burns
Make sure all appliances and burners are turned off after use. Oven mitts and pot holders are a simple way to avoid burns from taking hot items off the stove or out of the microwave.
Click below to learn more.Membership
Sign up to receive our newsletter and emails