By: LCF Fitness Staff
Need help and support for everyday task such as carrying heavy objects or rising off the floor? Functional fitness can help by strengthening muscles to promote balance, endurance, and flexibility. These beginner-friendly, strength training exercises mostly use your body weight, and can improve the quality of your life.
Here are 5 functional fitness exercises courtesy of healthline.com
– Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms down at your sides.
– Bend your knees and start to squat down, pushing back into your hips, almost as if you’re about to sit in a chair. Raise your arms up in front of you as you go.
– When your thighs are parallel to the ground, pause and push through your heels, extending your legs and returning to the starting position.
– Complete 2 sets of 15 reps.
– Stand with your back against a wall and your feet a step out.
– Bend your legs, pressing your back into the wall and allowing yourself to slide down into a squat.
– When your thighs are parallel to the floor, push back up against the wall into the starting position.
– Repeat for 2 sets of 15 reps.
– Start on all fours with your palms planted on the ground and your knees bent slightly further than 90 degrees.
– Push up from your hands and feet, extending your arms and legs, and keep your core tight. Your body should form a straight line from head to toe.
– Hold for as long as you can. Repeat for 2 sets.
– Start in a high plank position, weight in your hands and feet, and your body forming a straight line from head to toe.
– Keep your hands, feet, and neck stationary and pike your hips up so your body forms a triangle with the ground.
– Pause here for 10 seconds. Repeat 2 more times.
– Stand to the side of your bench or step with one foot on it and one foot on the ground.
– Pushing through the heel of the foot on the bench, step up to extend your leg fully, then slowly lower back down to start.
– Complete 2 sets of 15 reps on each side.
Need help with Functional Fitness Exercises? We can help with our medical fitness pathways.
MYFITRx® Functional Fitness Pathway
Promotes pain reduction through gentle movement for conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and other autoimmune conditions.
For more information about MyFitRx®, please visit the Member Services desk.
Click below to learn more.Membership
Sign up to receive our newsletter and emails